THE RANCH IS A PLACE
A small piece of land in the wild north of California, our family property was where I spent my childhood summers. Full of adventure and exploration, family and cows, this was a place of imagination. Here, the lake always spelled mischief and the campfire always promised s'mores and stories.
We called this childhood paradise THE RANCH.
THE RANCH IS A BELIEF IN STORIES
The Ranch is where grandpa told tales late into the night and we began living them early in the morning. Ordinary lives found a place on kingly thrones, and daily tasks became epic adventures. We found we were each remarkable and our lives were distinctively fascinating. We all had something worthy to share.
I made my first movie by strapping a camera on the back of a remote-control car and driving it around my brother’s ad agency. An instant classic- at least in my mind- it was a film about … nothing really. But that little experiment launched me into a relationship with creative storytelling through film and design that has brought me to The Ranch.
I’ve learned that I am drawn to the bigness of the small story: everyday people living lives of work and play, belief and friendship, joy and pain. These are the tales that inspire me, inspire us; real lives that cause real change in the world.
- The couple whose love for each other brings grace and healing
- The suburban woman willing to mother an orphan
- The camp counselor that lets “kids with AIDS” just be “kids who eat gooey s’mores around a campfire”
- The guy who wants to brew the best beer in town
- The dying woman who wants to tell her family she loves them
- The poor mom who walks 20 miles to bring water to her family
- The single dad who works 3 jobs so his kids can have a better life
I started The Ranch to help people capture and share their stories so they can be retold again and again. Let's start telling yours.